Oct 4, 2013

The Infamous Bacon Burger Dog!

I've been sick as a dog (pun intended) over the past few days—so please forgive my lapse in blogging. However, I intend to make it up by making one of The Cosby Show's most famous dishes: The Bacon Burger Dog! 

A Bacon Burger Dog is a hotdog inside of a hamburger that is wrapped with crispy bacon! There are plenty of versions of this recipe online, but I chose not to use any of them as my foundation; this recipe is based solely on my culinary creativity. Theo Huxtable was my only inspiration during this yummy journey!

If you don't remember this dish, it's okay. It's been featured a few times on the show; my favorite episode is "Theo's Holiday" (season 2, episode 22). Here are some shots!


The family shows Theo what it's like to live in the "real world." He has to get an apartment, a job, and a loan. He gets help from quite a few characters. (Mr. Weewax, Mille Farquar, Mrs. Griswald, and the wealthy Mr. Cockroach, just to name a few.)



In the end, mom and dad reward Theo's efforts with a Bacon Burger Dog!
S2E22

Below, you'll find the recipe, my notes and suggestions, and photos of my time in the kitchen! I hope you enjoy.


THEO'S BACON BURGER DOG, 2 servings

I prepared by BBDs on a indoor grill. Turn it on before you begin to prep the food.
*I made enough for myself, but please feel free to double or triple this recipe!

Ingredients:
4 shish-kabob skewers or toothpicks
2 hot dogs
2/3-lb of ground beef (I bought a 1.2-lb pack and used half.)
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tbsp worcestershire sauce 

1 squirt of BBQ sauce

freshly ground black pepper
4 slices of bacon
Onions and green peppers for sauteing 
2 slices of cheese (I used pepper jack.)
Hotdog buns (They used hamburger buns on the show.)

Steps:
1. Soak your skewers or toothpicks in water as you prep your food. If you don't, the wood will come apart in your food. That's not a good look. (Soak them for about 10 minutes.)
2. Prep your ground beef. Mix in egg, worcestershire sauce, BBQ sauce, and cayenne pepper. Combine well. Split your beef into two balls.
3.Wrap your beef around the hotdogs. Take one ball of beef, shape it into a rectangle that is the same length of the hotdog. Flatten it. Take your hot dog and wrap the beef around it. I rolled mine around, like a rolling pin, on my cutting board until the meat was evenly distributed around the hot dog.  

My hotdog covered in seasoned ground beef.

4. Wrap the bacon around the burger dog and secure it with two skewers or toothpicks.
5. Put the uncooked Bacon Burger Dog on the grill, top with freshly ground black pepper, and let cook on both sides until brown and crispy. You may want to remove the skewers or toothpicks so that it can cook on all sides. Mine took 15-20 minutes to cook and crisp up.

My Bacon Burger Dogs on the indoor grill. 

6. While they're cooking, you may saute your veggies. I added onions and green bell peppers. Mushrooms would be a tasty addition, too!
7. When your BBDs are a few minutes from completion, add cheese! (I didn't want cheese to get on my grill, so I put a metal bowl over the cheese-covered Bacon Burger Dogs. This created heat within the bowl and a clean cheesy melt.)
8. Place your finished BBD on a bun, top with your favorite burger or hotdog toppings, and enjoy warm!

In true Huxtable style, I paired by Bacon Burger Dog with kettle-cooked chips, and threw some mustard on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment